Welcome to my Website! In addition to creating and selling my products, I love to try new ideas, many of which will be showcased in my blog found on the Home page! Check back often for new blogs and new items I will have for sale! Need something designed but do not see it in my catalog listed under the Vinyl Templates tab? I can custom design nearly anything, please contact me and we may be able to create a wonderful product based on your ideas! -- Cindy

Vinyl Halloween Luminaries

I love Halloween and I love finding new things to make!  A few weeks ago I came across a blog called "Sugar Plum Delights" and fell in love with this idea to make Halloween Luminaries!  The project was simple but very messy!  The main reason why it was messy is because I used too much Modge Podge and did not allow for enough dry time in between the layers of tissue paper; however the end result still turned out great!

For this project, I needed different colors of tissue paper, Modge Podge, 3 glass jars, a lighting source and 3 Halloween designs for the front of the jar which I used vinyl to adhere to the jar. 

The first step is to cut the tissue paper to the approximate height and width of the jar.  Then brush on a thin layer of Modge Podge onto the entire jar.  Quickly, wrap the tissue paper onto the jar before the Modge Podge dries.  The picture below shows the jars with one layer of tissue paper attached to the jar.   


Now, after the tissue paper is on and the Modge Podge has had a chance to dry, apply a second layer of Modge Podge over the tissue paper.  Then wrap a second layer of tissue paper on the jar.  Once that dries, you can apply the Halloween design onto the jar.  I used vinyl but one could paint a design, cut out construction paper and glue it on or I'm sure there are many other possibilities.  Once the design is on, add a couple more layers of Modge Podge to the jar.  This will provide a nice shiny finish and protect it from rain, snow or any other outside elements.  The picture below shows the jars drying upside down (only way I could figure out how to do it without having the Modge Podge stick to the table).


And here are the finished Halloween Luminaries! 



I do not have the lights in them which you wouldn't be able to see anyway since it's too light out.  Battery operated Candle Votives work but I would prefer more light for the darker colored jars.  I also found some battery operated lights that I placed upside down onto the top of the jar from Walgreens.  It was a package of 3 LED puck lights from First Alert for $5 and these provide much more light!  The back of it looks like a lid on the jar which finishes off the entire look.  I tried to take a picture of that in the dark but it didn't turn out, I'll play around with that and if I get it to work I'll post another picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment